Standard Stock Footage License Agreement

Eric

A standard stock footage license agreement is an important legal document to incorporate when granting permission to others to use your video footage or film clips.  The word “standard” is a bit misleading.  For example, if National Geographic wishes to license video footage from Andrew Walker, the “standard” footage license agreement that National Geographic will send will look a lot different than the “standard” footage license agreement that Andrew Walker should provide.   Therefore if you are licensing video footage, you should always provide your own footage license agreement to complete the transaction.

PLEASE NOTE:  If you are licensing video footage to a third party a custom stock footage license can be generated automatically inside Nimia’s Platform using the “Direct Sale” feature.  You choose the price and you select the specific license terms from a drop down menu that you want to grant the buyer, including, project type, distribution territory, term length, etc.  They can then review and purchase the stock footage. Best part of the Direct Sale feature is you get 90% for the sale. Nimia gets the other 10% for legal monitoring of usage, legal indemnification for buyer, and credit card transaction.

If it’s not possible to get the footage uploaded to Nimia to use the Direct Sale feature, the you need a standard stock footage license agreement.  This is a standard stock footage license agreement on a per clip basis that I created for Johnny Friday to use in circumstances when he is unable to upload to Nimia.  Johnny Friday is an underwater cinematographer that works with Nat Geo, Discovery Channel, and others.  The buyer can select specific add-on license terms to support his project scope.  This helps clarify to the buyer what rights he’s obtaining and helps increase the final price you receive for your stock footage.  Agreeing to the terms of the video license in a standard stock footage license agreement is necessary prior to delivering the content. The written contract will help you get paid properly and allow you to flex legal muscle if things go awry.

 

Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 10.41.02 AM

 

The above stock footage license agreement is different than a license agreement on a per second basis.  If you are interested in a per second stock footage license agreement, email [email protected]

If you’d like to talk to an attorney about video rights and ownership, stock footage licensing or other legal issues surrounding video production, contact [email protected] and we can set up a short phone call.

By accessing and reading this blog, you acknowledge and understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and you further acknowledge and understand that this blog is not intended to constitute legal advice. Legal advice and counsel requires a fact-specific analysis of your particular issues, and you should thus obtain legal advice directly and individually from an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction, if appropriate.